Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shredded pork tacos...i think?

Well, I know Tonya is anxious to find out if my pork taco experiment was a success or a big ol' flop:)...

To be honest, I'm not quite sure! I rolled in from work last night around 6:30 or so, 10 1/2 hours after setting the crock pot on low with my experimental ingredients heaped inside. After hauling my stuff inside, letting the kitty out, then back in, and then out again (she's indecisive), moving the wash to the dryer and throwing hubby's work clothes in the wash, I finally pulled the lid off of my cute red crockpot.

I was surprised - it smelled really good! I pulled the whole thing apart with a couple of forks, did a little taste test, and decided it needed a little more "something." In went some more lime juice, some salt, and a wee bit of louisiana red hot sauce. Hubby came in a few hours later and added another package of taco seasoning and both green & red taco sauce. The whole mixture went inside of softshell flour tortillas and was...REALLY good:)...when I was taste-testing before the big reveal, I think I was reacting to the lack of cheese (because I love cheese), and after it was all put together in taco-style (with cheese of course!) it was fab:). so here it is...as close as I can remember anyway:)!

Shredded Pork Tacos

Ingredients:

  • 1 Pork Shoulder Roast (I think mine was a bit over 3 pounds, and although it thawed overnight in the fridge, was still frozen)
  • 2 packages of taco seasoning (I used Ortega "mild," started with just one, and then hubby added the much-needed second)
  • Lime juice (I don't know how much exactly - I used the Real Lime stuff from the bottle and squirted it all over - I can never have enough lime:)!)
  • Garlic cloves, smashed (I only had two left at home, but I would have put half a head in if I'd had it)
  • 1 can green chiles (my mom and I have a thing for these)
  • 2 jalapenos, chopped (from my garden and leftover from taco night - it could definitely handle more heat if I'd thought to thaw out a few from my frozen stash)
  • Taco Sauce (Green and/or Red) and/or Hot Sauce - to taste
  • Salt - to taste

Directions:

  • This one's really tough - throw all the ingredients into the crockpot.
  • Put on the lid.
  • Set it on low.
  • Go to work (or not).
  • Come home, pull apart meat with two forks.
  • Eat:)!

Mine cooked for a looong time (12 hours or so), but it would easily be done before then.

I always make homemade guacamole whenever we have tacos, so there's more lime for me and my lime fetish:).

Guacamole (Drew's Recipe)
*my FAVORITE thing to eat on the planet:)!

Ingredients:

  • Avocado
  • Lime juice
  • Garlic Powder
  • Salt
  • Sour Cream

Directions:

  • Mash the avocado (or avocados, depending on how much you want)
  • Mix with lime juice, garlic powder, and salt to taste.
  • Add a dollop of sour cream and mix.
  • Eat:).

Okay, I'm Betty-Crockered out for the day:). If anyone comes up with a new twist on the pork tacos, I'd LOVE to hear it!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

Sounds yummy! I think I might have to try this one. Ashleigh is in total agreement with you about the gaucamole except she calls it wackamole. lol
have a great day!

cassie said...

aw, maybe i should change her name from ashleigh macaroni to ashleigh wackamole;)!!!!! SO cute:)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...