Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tasty Tuesday ~ Chicken & Rice Soup

tastytuesdaybutton[12]

I am a bit off of my blog-groove this week - I think I'm missing a caffeine link or something? not sure. Anyways, I am posting a Tasty Tuesday recipe that I have not yet tasted *gasp* - although it is currently brewing in my crockpot at home for tonight's supper!

I stole this recipe from one of my FAVE blogs - The Crockpot Lady - and I whipped it all up last night while I was waiting for hubby to get home from a long day of work. I put all the ingredients in the crockpot ceramic thingie last night and then set that part in the fridge. I pulled it out this morning and slipped it back into the crockpot base and plugged it in - hopefully that won't cause it to turn into mush, lol:). Anyways, here it is:

Chicken & Rice Soup

Ingredients:

  • 2 boxes of chicken broth (I used the stuff I found at Wal-Mart, I'm cheap:))
  • 1 cup of uncooked brown rice (and I didn't wash or soak it, neither did crockpot lady)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (I had leftover store-bought rotisserie chicken from last week, although I think I ended up with 1 1/2 cups or maybe 2...oops;)!)
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups of vegetables (I used leftover baby carrots, celery, and onion)
  • 1 t herbes de provence (they definitely don't carry this in my itty-bitty ND town - so I used some thyme, some rosemary, and some marjoram. could be scary)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste after cooking

Directions:

  • Using a chopper thingie (I used a food processor), chop the veggies into whatever size pieces your family likes - I think crockpot lady blended hers into a paste and they looked pretty invisible!
  • Dump all ingredients into the crockpot and cook on low as long as you can - the longer the better.

I read some of the comments about the recipe on her page, and some people ended up with 'exploding rice' - crockpot lady used basmati brown rice from trader joe's, and since there isn't a trader joe's within 200 miles of here, I just used regular brown rice, but if it explodes, I won't cry:).

Yay for soup on 29 degree fall mornings!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

have I mentioned the fact that my printer is STILL out of ink...therefore REALLY inhibiting my desire to print all the lovely recipes out and actually use them?! Ugh. Must. Go. Buy. Ink.

Thanks for a lovely crockpot recipe - besideds the DVR, it's the best invention, ever! :-) Okay, the toaster and microwave..and dishwasher, too. Hehe.

Sarah said...

Don't blend them!! I did that - It sucked. This recipe is now what I feed my dog. Seriously.

Sarah said...

Told you :) that stuff is VILE! Dog food. ha ha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...